OTE - Oregon Travel Experience

Travel Information Kiosk Publication FAQs


15kiosk_locationsQ: What is a travel information kiosk?

A: A travel information “kiosk” or motorist information center, is an open structure housing travel and tourist information at nine locations across the state. Most are located within OTE managed highway safety rest areas. The map on the left refers to all locations where we administer publication permits. The fees are the same for all locations.

Q: Why would it benefit my business to have brochures or travel magazines available in the kiosk?

A: Our kiosks are located in some of the most heavily used traveler stopping points across the state. Many of these travelers are searching for nearby places to eat, play and sleep. Your display has the potential to reach millions of prospective customers annually.

Q: Aren’t printed materials becoming obsolete?

A: OTE realizes that a significant number of people traveling by auto do not use a smart phone or a tablet while on the road, and rely on printed materials and advertising to help plan trips and vacations. Maps, coupons, travel magazines, and regional brochures offer an easy way for kiosk visitors to grab tourism or essential travel publications and find their way to your business.

Brochure display racks help motorists connect to local attractions and services.Q: What kind of information is allowed inside the kiosk?

A: Only brochures and magazine styled publications (also back-lit display panels—see Panel FAQs) that connect to travel or tourist information are issued permits to be distributed in the kiosk. Examples include hotels, motels, museums, cultural and shopping districts, theme parks, family destination spots, botanical gardens, visitor and tourism association publications, restaurants, coffee cafes, and more. A long as your business meets the display permit guidelines, your business can be represented.

Q: How will my publication stock be handled?

A: OTE will stock and maintain your publications within the kiosk. OTE will also notify you when your supply needs to be replenished. Arrangements will be made between OTE and your printer (or you directly) to receive shipment of your publication at either our Salem storage facility or to a specified location where we accept direct delivery.

Q: Are there different styles of publications that I can place in the kiosk?

A: There are several options. Some even include brochure, rack-card, or magazine placement in combination with a back-lit display panel. (See Backlit Display FAQs for pricing.) Our Kiosk Coordinator can help you determine what might work best for your business. For publication placement (without a back-lit panel), prices are shown in the table below.

Q: Is the publication permit renewed annually or monthly?

A: At this time, you have two options for payment. You can elect to pay for your permit annually, or you may elect to renew your permit on a month-to-month basis.

Permit fee table

Publication size Commercial account Non-profit/Government
Brochure or rack card $20 per month $10 per month
Magazine style publication (8.5 x 11) $45 per month $20 per month

Other kiosk and travel plaza display opportunities

Interested in working other avenues to broadcast the news about your business location? Does your business provide an essential service to the traveler? Are you in the food, lodging, attractions, or fuel industry? Belong to a group of non-profit businesses or a destination marketing organization? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, we have opportunities for you.

Back-lit display panels
Back-lit display panels are colorful illustrated posters about your business, services, and location. Travelers will see your attractive and illuminated panels inside the travel information kiosk 24 hours a day, when they stop for a break at one of our OTE managed rest areas. Read more on the FAQs page.

Motorist information current events co-op displays
A Current Events back-lit display panel is a permitted and paid display located within an OTE Travel Information Center. The events panel is installed quarterly and lists one season’s events. All fees and perimeters of a regular back-lit panel apply, however, this special panel is designed to accommodate non-profit groups, or organizations and businesses that host “local” events.

The goal is to help enrich local economic infrastructure through attracting both the first time Oregon traveler and the seasoned commuter. Capturing the attention of highway travelers (who might not otherwise stop) with a co-op panel can be a wise use of limited resources. Learn more about how you can claim a current events panel for your community.

Technical resources, permit application, and display guidelines

Review one of our applications and the materials below. If you still have remaining questions about the permit application process, telephone Sue Van Handel at 503-373-0086.

Application for kiosk display permits: Download a copy of the application (PDF).

Production guide for panel displays: We have included the kiosk production guide for back-lit panel displays for your information. Please use this production guide with caution, as the French Prairie northbound kiosk uses a different material and size. Please contact us at 503-373-0090 if you are interested in panels at that location. Download a copy of the kiosk panel display production guide (PDF).

Kiosk locations: You can view all of the locations on our map. Download a PDF version of our map (illustrated on this page): 15kiosk_locations.

Other opportunities: For more information about our complete line of business listings, telephone 503-373-0086.  Contact us by email if you prefer.